Chad W. Mitchell
Graphic Designer & Photographer
Seriously...I get to draw and take pictures for a living. How awesome is that?
I have a passion in graphic design and photography. Places traveled, events attended and people met have shaped the artist that I am. A subject’s history and circumstances will influence your life – if only slightly.
I document my subject in every manner and angle I can. I capture the smaller details, the inner workings and bring attention to the mundane. I feel an image has more interest when it is depicted in a manner not commonly seen.
“Wedding day celebrations” to the “championship game,” I’ve been fortunate to cover it all.
To envision an end product, design or capture it as planned and then sharing it, has been the process and reward in striving to better myself each time I create. I appreciate the creative process and the allowance to start with nothing and end with a polished, finished piece.
When your heart’s in it and you enjoy it, you reward yourself each time you go to work.
June 2015 – June 2016 • Charlotte, NC
• Created concept drawings for cost estimating and clientele presentations as well as finalized working drawings for manufacturing and production
• Utilized CorelDRAW X6 design application exclusively
Graphic Designer, Photographer, Print Production
Carolinas HealthCare System
2009 – 2014 • Charlotte, NC
• Developed and implemented marketing collateral with an emphasis on proofing, editing and graphic design of recently rebranded print, outdoor and broadcast material for both internal and external audiences.
• Provided and post-processed an array of photography for system campaigns, annual reports, advertising, internal communications and promotional needs.
• Directed and managed system’s print production needs by delivering collateral on deadline (or early) and creating and implementing cost and time efficiencies that were used by internal staff and external system vendors.
• Created file-naming protocol and archive system for recalling collateral to reprint. This saved time and creative costs by not recreating layouts.
• Established excellent rapport with established system vendors
Appalachian State University Alumni
2007 – Present • Boone, NC
I love donating my talents back to my alma mater through my photography of football, primarily! Doing so for a nationally recognized program of outstanding personnel, team and coaches, as well as the best, fans, ever. makes it fun and rewarding. It helps everyone…a win/win.
2003 – 2008 • Concord, NC
• Produced logo/identity design, hand/digital illustration, collateral material design, ads, signage, posters, photography and retouching, wide-format printing and bindery experience
• Filed and maintained large inventory of clientele artwork and invoices
• Coordinated supply orders and vendor projects when needed
• Responsive to clientele in communicating progress throughout design process
• Interacted with walk-in customers, both English and Spanish, on printing and design needs
• Created new network of clientele and increased employer revenue by utilizing trend research
Photographer, Graphic Designer
Kannapolis Intimidators Professional Baseball Club
1995 – 2007 • Kannapolis, NC
• Provided hi-resolution digital files for team and local media, photo ads, magazines, and trading card sets
• Increased client network through photographing fans and corporate functions
• Produced and sold original artworks to players and management
• Donated artwork for printing to various charitable organizations that sponsored team
Appalachian State University
BS - Commercial Art/Graphic Design
1987 – 1992 • Boone, NC
2013 Aster Award – Gold (for Graphic Design), Aster Awards/ Marketing Healthcare Today magazine (Award for the Breast Health Awareness Campaign for the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. It was a “shoestring budget” campaign.) [link]
Wallie Award – Silver (for Graphic Design), Carolinas HealthCare PR & Marketing Society ((Award for the Breast Health Awareness Campaign for the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. It was a “shoestring budget” campaign.) ) [link]
Solo, Cannon Mills: Angles & Elements, Cabarrus Arts Council & Galleries - Concord, NC (14 piece framed photo exhibit from Cannon Mills documentary. Frames made from mill flooring.)
Group, Cottonfields to Skyscrapers, Levine Museum of the New South - Charlotte, NC (http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/February-2011/Exit-Through-the-Gift-Shop/)
Graphic DesignIllustrationPhotographyArt DirectionPrint Production
IllustratorPhotoshopInDesignAcrobatExcelOutlookPublisherWordPhotography (Camera RAW)CorelDRAW